The staff of the Pisa unit carries out its research activity in the following areas:
- modeling, synthesis and characterization of polymeric materials, both multi-phase and / or characterized by a functional modular structure and composition;
- interface and confinement effects on the physical and chemical properties of structured materials and composites;
- relaxation dynamics of liquids and amorphous solids;
- thermodynamic methods for the study of materials and processes;
- electronic magnetic resonance methodologies for the study and development of materials;
- electromagnetic and acoustic methods and their application to materials and the environment;
- computational-theoretical approaches to study the spectroscopic properties of molecules, aggregates and materials;
- development and implementation of (multiscale) models and methods in the study of nanostructures and nanosystems;
- development of models and algorithms to study the dynamics of coherent structures in fluids and magneto-fluids.
The research activity is carried out in the IPCF laboratories by employing advanced scientific instruments in collaboration with a variety of both national and international academic and private institutions.